August 25, 2021
Town of Assinbioia ProActive with Recent Service Disruptions at the Assinboia Union Hospital
The Town of Assiniboia is being proactive and currently working with the Health Region and other government officials to resolve the service disruptions at the Assiniboia Union Hospital Emergency Room.
Quote from Mayor Sharon Schauenberg: "The lack or disruption of essential services in our community is very concerning to the Town of Assiniboia, we have been actively involved in communication with Government and as well as our Health Region to arrive at solutions to these particular issues."
"The health and well being of our citizens as well as access to emergency services is of top priority of all of us at the Town of Assiniboia, rest assured that we will relay information to all as we find resolution."
Key Message from the Health Region:
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) recognizes the importance of having accessible Emergency Services available in rural communities and the impact emergency room service disruptions have on the community.
• The SHA is working on a number of strategies to address the disruption to ER services in an effort to provide reliable, sustainable, and safe access to emergency care to those who need it. Saskatchewan Health Authority, Saskdocs and Health Careers in Saskatchewan work in partnership and are committed to health care recruitment in the province.
• Recruitment to address the staff shortages required to support the safe operation of Assiniboia Hospitals emergency services is ongoing however, some positions have yet to be filled. As a result, we are unable to provide consistent coverage for the emergency department.
• Staffing shortages are the result of a number of factors, including COVID-19, fatigue, and retirement but recruitment and retention has been a longstanding challenge, particularly in rural Saskatchewan. COVID-19 activity across the province has also resulted in increased pressure on acute care and long-term care facilities, and health care providers.
• The SHA is committed to restoring regular emergency services in the community of Assiniboia as soon as we can address the human resource challenges we are currently facing and will continue to update residents as information becomes available.
• The SHA appreciates the patience and understanding of Assiniboia area residents as we continue working to try to limit potential service disruptions as much as possible.
• Primary health care services are not impacted by the disruption to ER services and continue to be available in Assiniboia at the Red Coat Primary Health Care clinic. The hours of service and contact information for the clinic are Monday to Friday 9:00-12:00pm & 1:00pm-5:00pm, 1-306-642-4454
• In the event of an emergency, please call 911.
• If residents have questions regarding their health or mental health, professional advice is available by calling 811 to reach the Saskatchewan HealthLine toll-free 24 hours/day.